The commercial for the latest Nintendo Switch update for Minecraft, which allows cross-platform play, does something that may be a first for the modern gaming industry: It promotes a competitor’s console in a positive way. Seeing the Xbox and Switch logos together in a single commercial, released on Nintendo’s official YouTube channel, is surreal.
Which makes Sony’s decision to not allow cross-platform play look even worse.
You can watch the commercial above, and see how much
attention each platform is given. You see both controllers, and the
players are having fun in both cases. The ad makes the case pretty
strongly: Minecraft is a fun party you can attend together if you have a Switch or an Xbox One ... but Sony won’t let you in with a PlayStation 4.
It’s a big party that Sony apparently didn’t want to attend. Sony’s
refusal to allow cross-platform play, and players’ inability to use
their Epic Games accounts on the Switch or the Xbox One if they’ve ever played on the PS4, was already the source of a major controversy during E3. Sony’s response to the Fortnite situation was a disaster, and this Minecraft commercial
shows how Nintendo and Microsoft can promote cross-platform play in a
positive way while also implicitly dunking on Sony.
A former Sony executive recently said that the issue comes down to the company not wanting items bought on other platforms to ever be used on the PS4.
This issue isn’t going to go away, and this sort of cross-promotion for multiple platforms playing the same game together is another indication that everyone but Sony is willing to play nice together in the current market.
This is an inflection point in gaming, and Sony risks being left behind. This parody image may sum up fan reaction perfectly:
Netflix about Nintendo Switch with Netflix chat support:
It’s getting close to game over for a controversial school shooting video game after PayPal joined a growing list of companies that have refused to support it.
The online payments company confirmed Wednesday that it has shut down an account being used to sell the video game, “Active Shooter,” which allows players to simulate carrying out a mass-casualty attack with a gun, grenade or knife.
“PayPal has a longstanding, well-defined and consistently enforced Acceptable Use Policy that prohibits the use of our services for the promotion of violence,” a PayPal spokesman said in an email to HuffPost.
Though the game’s developer, Acid Software ― which is listed online as based in Moscow, Russia ― continues to offer a free demo of its product on its websites, PayPal’s decision would significantly hamper its ability to collect profit online.
Fundraising website Indiegogo has similarly removed the Acid Software’s crowdfunding page. Popular video game platform Steam also banned the game from being hosted on its site.
A representative for Valve Corporation, which developed Steam, said in a statement to The Washington Post that one of the game’s developers, Ata Berdyev, was previously removed from using its service last fall over troublesome issues.
“Ata is a troll, with a history of customer abuse, publishing copyrighted material, and user review manipulation,” Valve’s statement said. “His subsequent return under new business names was a fact that came to light as we investigated the controversy around his upcoming title. We are not going to do business with people who act like this towards our customers or Valve.”
After “Active Shooter” was removed from the gaming sites, it was listed on two separate websites set up by the developer, but removed after the company hosting them received complaints, The Associated Press reported. The sites were subsequently set up on Russian servers, according to Berdyev.
“Seems like everyone in US trying to censor us, whilst not explaining what exactly we are violating,” he said in a message to the AP.
Sandy Hook Promise, an organization that was created after the 2012 mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school, started a petition for PayPal to close its account with Acid. An online petition on Change.org also racked up more than 282,000 signatures in support of removing the game from service. The online petition on Wednesday was also seeking support for tighter gun control regulations.
An early pre-release version of the game had been listed for $20. A final version is slated to be released early next month.
Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde might want to avoid Mars:
NASA and the University of Arizona's HiRise team,
the group responsible for working with the orbiter's nifty camera,
shared a view of an unusual crater on the Red Planet and it sure looks a
lot like Pac-Man in full pellet-gobbling mode.
What we're seeing here is an impact crater with a crescent-shaped barchan sand dune nestled inside. The MRO snapped the image in mid-March and NASA highlighted it this week.
Barchan dunes are common on Mars, as seen in this MRO image of a field of wormy-looking formations. But this particular crater-and-dune combination of landscape features is out of the ordinary.
NASA's HiRise team pointed out the likeness to Pac-Man and says it is "a rare configuration, and over the next few tens of thousands of years the sand will be blown out of the crater." Pac-Man will be a super-duper-retro game by then.
Lohoin's lawyer argued before New York's top court that Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. violated her right to privacy by incorporating "look-a-like" images of her in the game. In "Grand Theft Auto V," Lacey Jonas is a troubled young Hollywood actress.
In October 2014, Lohoin's legal team added dozens of images to its complaint showing real-world photos of Lohoin that she believes Rockstar used for reference to create the character.
But the state Court of Appeals ruled Thursday that the satirical representations of "a modern, beach-going" young woman are not identifiable as Lohoin. The court affirmed a ruling from a lower state appeals court dismissing her lawsuit.
Similar claims against Take-Two by "Mob Wives" television star Karen Gravano also were dismissed in a separate ruling.
A message left with Lohoin's lawyer wasn't immediately returned.
Mutiny!! developer Lupiesoft said that they also received a second message from Valve, and that the two-week deadline for them to censor content was no longer in place as Valve also re-reviews their game. It's unclear how many of the other developers that were initially warned have received similar follow-ups.
Original Story: The developers of several popular erotic games on Steam have received warnings from Valve that they must censor the adult content in their games or they will be removed, according to tweets from those developers.
Most notably, developer HuniePot was issued a warning regarding their extremely popular erotic romance visual novel/puzzle game, HuniePop. According to their Twitter, the notice indicated that HuniePop “violates the rules & guidelines for pornographic content on Steam and will be removed from the store unless the game is updated to remove said content.”
Developers of many other games, including Mutiny!!, Re;Lord 1, Kindred Spirits on the Roof, Tropical Liquor, and VR Kanojo, all appear to have received similar statements, which effectively amount to a take down warning notice from Valve. Mutiny!! developer Lupiesoft said on Twitter their warning was issued due to “reports of pornographic content.”
What all of these games have in common is that they are romance-focused, Japanese or Japan-inspired games with erotic or suggestive content. Lupiesoft notes, however, that they have been very rigorous about making sure their releases adhere to Steam’s guidelines. Some of the games listed, such as Mutiny!!, have patches available outside of Steam that add uncensored content, but are not advertised on the platform.
MangaGamer, publisher of Kindred Spirits on the Roof, had this to say on their blog:
“As you may recall from our own announcements and coverage in several news outlets, we and many others in the industry considered the release of Kindred Spirits unaltered on the platform a positive shift in the treatment of tasteful, mature content on the platform. We stand by our assertion then that content of the game is not pornographic, but an earnest and tasteful exploration of sexuality.”
This sudden and sweeping action is surprising to many, as games like Kindred Spirits on the Roof and HuniePop have been on Steam for many years. However, more recent titles such as Re;Lord 1 have also been targeted, which was released in March of this year.
Sega has announced that versions of the first two Shenmue games are coming physically and digitally to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.
Both games still retain their Dreamcast aesthetics but with higher resolutions, improved textures, graphical options on PC, and an updated user interface. Players can also choose between modern and classic control settings, as well as English or Japanese dubs. The physical and digital releases are priced at $29.99.
Regarding a Switch release, Sega says, "We are focusing on the console and PC versions only right now," meaning there's a possibility it could come to the Nintendo platform.
There hasn't been much recent news from Shenmue III. Fortunately, character's faces will in fact move after the game's first teaser trailer received criticism for its lack of facial animations. We also know Deep Silver is set to publish the title. Shenmue III currently has a release window slated for the second half of this year.
The investigation resulted in confirming long-held suspicions: the provided evidence tape of the King of Kong score didn't come from actual arcade hardware. Same goes for his 1,050,200-point "Mortgage Brokers" score. TG said there wasn't enough evidence to comfortably make a definitive judgment on a third score of 1,062,800.
Previously the claim was that Mitchell recorded these scores using emulation software, because original hardware doesn't produce the board transition images that were recorded. But because proving emulation would be far more involved and take even more time, TG settled on proving that the scores weren't the result of playing on an unmodified Donkey Kong PCB.
"Twin Galaxies has endeavored to provide a fair opportunity and reasonable amount of time for all sides and interests to present their thoughts and evidence as it has evaluated this dispute claim," TG writes in a blog post. "Throughout every step of this investigation, Billy Mitchell had the opportunity to answer questions and contribute to the public dispute thread. However, he was under no obligation to participate in this dispute thread and as such he chose not to do so."
When I spoke with TG's custodian of records Jace Hall earlier this year, he said these types of investigations are proof of the verification system he helped build were working as intended. "This [scrutiny] is absolutely something that has been much needed and is part of our controlled process of making sure that the public can control and can trust the data that's in our database," he said.
After what seems like an eternity, Mitchell is no longer recognized as the first million-point Donkey Kong record holder. Now, that honor goes to long-time rival Steve Wiebe.
(Meredith) -- The original PlayStation 3 came out in 2006. If you bought one, you can claim a $65 refund from Sony.
It's due to a class action lawsuit involving a security update. The original PlayStation 3 had the option for an alternate operating system, but the slim version of the console released later removed that feature as part of a security update. This resulted in a class action lawsuit which was settled in 2016. It allows owners of the original PlayStation 3 to claim a $65 payout by submitting a claim form.
You can submit a claim form here.
A 13-year-old girl has died after authorities say she was shot Saturday by her 9-year-old brother, local media reported.
Monroe County Sheriff Cecil Cantrell said the girl would not give up a video game controller when her brother wanted it.
Cantrell said she was shot in the back of the head, and that the bullet went through her brain.
The girl was rushed to Le Bonheur's Children's Hospital in Memphis. Cantrell said late Sunday that she died of her injuries, WLOV-TV and other media reported.
Authorities don't yet know how the child had access to the weapon they say he used to shoot his sister. It's also unclear how much knowledge the boy had of the dangers of guns.
"He’s just 9. I assume he’s seen this on video games or TV," Cantrell said. "I don't know if he knew exactly what this would do. I can’t answer that. I do know it’s a tragedy."
The investigation will not be rushed, the sheriff said, and the identities of family members are not being released.
"This is all new ground for us, we've never dealt with a kid shooting a kid at age 9," Cantrell said. "We don't know yet what kind of charges or if charges will be pressed. We want to make sure we’re doing everything correctly.
"That’s why I’m not too fast to say anything because there are juveniles involved. We want to do what’s right and we’re going to get it right."
The sheriff asked for the public's thoughts and prayers for the child and the family.
A man in Ceres (Stanislaus County) allegedly shot and killed his mother after an argument while playing video games.
According to a report from the Ceres Police Department, 28-year-old Matthew Nicholson was playing video games in his room when he got upset and started yelling.
Nicholson's 68-year-old mother, Lydia, went to check on her son but Nicholson started arguing with her and ended up breaking his headset for the video game in an outburst.
Blaming his mother for this, Nicholson threatened to kill both of his parents and retrieved a handgun from inside of the family's home.
Nicholson fired two shots into a wall, and then shot Lydia in the head. Nicholson's 81-year-old father wrestled the gun away from his son, and Nicholson drove to a relative's house in Riverbank.
Lydia Nicholson was transported to a hospital for treatment but ultimately succumbed to her injuries.
Police apprehended Nicholson in Riverbank without further incident and booked him into the Stanislaus County Jail where he is being held without bail.
Microsoft Rewards 9-Year-Old's Selflessness With Xbox One S:
An Ohio child gave up his Christmas gift of an Xbox One S to get blankets for the homeless, but Microsoft wasn't going to let that slide.
Do a good deed, everybody wins. At least, that's the holiday lesson one 9-year-old from Ashland County, Ohio recently learned. He gave up an on-the-way Christmas gift—a brand-new Xbox One—preferring instead that his grandmother take the $300 the console would cost and spend that on 30 blankets for the local homeless population.
Mikah Frye's selfless gesture caught Microsoft's attention, and the company decided to give Frye that Xbox after all. And when he picked it up at the Microsoft Store, there were a few more gifts waiting for him—two bags' worth, in fact. Not only did Frye score a Minecraft-themed Xbox One S console, but he also received some extra games and accessories.
The organization that benefitted from Frye's initial act of charity, Ashland Church Community Emergency Shelter Services, was one that his family used years' prior when they ran into financial difficulties. And Frye did a bit more than just buy some blankets for them to distribute; he also included handwritten notes for each person receiving a blanket.
"They gave me a blanket, but I had to leave it. That's why I want you to have your own blanket ... Today, I live in my own house, and someday you will too. Your friend Mikah," his notes read.
As described by Frye's grandmother, Terry Brant, Frye's own experience with homelessness likely inspired his interest in helping others. He arrived at his plan to purchase and distribute blankets after he saw some homeless individuals while he was out with his family. He asked his grandmother how they keep warm during the winter months and reasoned that providing people with a blanket might help them out a little bit.
"He knew what it was like to not have a blanket at night and have to give it back," Brant told Fox 8. "So the first thing he wanted to do is give a blanket that they could keep."
PAX East Tickets Now on Sale:
If you want to hit F5 and try to get your own, the registration link does work eventually, and honestly, while it isn't snappy, it's much better than past years.
PAX East is held each year in Boston at the Boston Civic Center and has proven so popular, an extra day has been added. That puts it in-line with PAX West, formerly known as PAX Prime, which is the original event held each year in Seattle.
PAX East no longer offers 3-day passes, so if you want to attend for the whole weekend you need to grab an individual pass for each day.If you haven't been to a PAX before, it's a super fun time and celebrates all things gaming, from tabletop to classic arcades and upcoming releases. It's also an awesome place to see some incredible cosplay.
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. – Aug. 7, 2017 – GungHo Online Entertainment America, Inc. (GOEA), today announced it has entered a partnership with Signal Studios to develop an all-new AAA mobile gaming experience. Signal Studios developed the action-strategy game Toy Soldiers and free-to-play title Ascend: Hand of Kul.
The partnership facilitates the company’s growth in the west following the launch of successful free-to-play titles such as mobile phenomenon Puzzle & Dragons and Grasshopper Manufacture's hit hack-and-slash game, LET IT DIE for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system.
"Our partnership with Signal Studios will add immense value to our company’s lineup of diverse and engaging experiences," said Jun Iwasaki, CEO and President of GOEA. "Signal is among the most creative and passionate studios in the videogames industry and we look forward to collaborating with them.”
The relationship properly equips Signal Studios with the resources to nourish the company’s innovation and develop engrossing new experiences for mobile audiences across the globe.
"Partnering with GungHo is an exciting move for Signal and accelerates our vision of bringing a AAA mobile gaming experience to a global audience,” said D.R. Albright III, President & Creative Director at Signal Studios. “We believe GungHo’s leadership and experience in the industry will improve our accessibility to the market and help us reach new heights as a games studio.”
For information on GOEA, visit www.gunghoonline.com.
For more information on Signal Studios, visit www.signalstudios.net.